Beach Swimming Safety Tips
Here are some great beach swimming safety tips to keep you and your family safe in the waves:
- Learn to swim and swim well. One of the best things anyone can do to stay safe in and around the water is learn to swim. Enroll your children in American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim courses.
- Stay within the designated beach swimming area, ideally within the visibility of a lifeguard.
- Never swim alone.
- Check the surf conditions before you enter the water. Check to see if a warning flag is up or check with a lifeguard for water conditions, beach conditions, or any potential hazards.
- Stay away from piers, pilings and jetties when in the water.
- Keep a lookout for aquatic life. Water plants and animals may be dangerous. Avoid patches of plants. Leave animals alone.
- Make sure you always have enough energy to swim back to shore.
- Don’t try to swim against a current if caught in one. Swim gradually out of the current by swimming parallel to the shore until free of the current, then swim to shore.
- Protect your skin. Sunlight contains two kinds of UV rays—UVA increases the risk of skin cancer, skin aging and other skin diseases. UVB causes sunburn and can lead to skin cancer. Limit the amount of direct sunlight you receive between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. and wear a sunscreen with a sun protection factor containing a high rating such as 15.
Return from Beach Swimming Safety back to Swimming Safety
Return to Your Swimming Space Home Page
Here are some real testimonials from past clients:
Christine writes,"I couldn't have asked for a better swim teacher for my son. My instructor was low-key, always positive and made my son feel comfortable even with his fear of the water. I recommend her highly.”
Sandy writes,“I was extremely pleased with the level of expertise by the instructor. My granddaughter is somewhat timid in the water and doesn't like to try new things. Our instructor was encouraging, knowledgeable and persistent. She got my granddaughter to try things I was amazed at. She is certainly an exceptional swimming instructor, especially for children.”
Shanna writes, “YourSwimmingSpace.com was great! They are very well prepared and professional! Well worth the money!”
For more testimonials,
To Sign up for Swimming Lessons,